Sunday, May 3, 2009


When I was first invited to France on a missions trip I felt an over all chill that I could not shake. This reaction was unusual for me. I knew that there was reason God wanted me to go to France but I wasn’t sure what it could be. You see, going to France doesn’t sound very romantic as far as missions trips go. You usually think of people going to third world countries to dig ditches, while they’re living in a hut in the outback. Or going to Haiti like Brenda and John have done, helping construct and beautify orphanages. At least that is what I used to think when I thought of going on a short term mission trip.
This trip will be much different. I will be going to a country that considers itself to be intellectual, logical, enlightened and progressive. I won’t be sleeping on the dirt, but in a bed in the city of lights and at a Christian camp in the French Alps. I will be in Lyon and Paris, the two largest cities in France and a Christian camp in Grenoble, the sight of the ‘68 winter Olympics. From what I’ve read, it seems that the most enlightened places are the darkest.
France is a very anti-Christian country. It proudly states that it is secular. Fiftyone percent of the population considers itself Catholic, though only 9% of those believe in God as being personal and relational. Ten percent of the population are Muslim and 1% Jewish. France’s atheist population is 31%. This next statistic blew me away. There are 30,00 occult workers and only 2,300 full-time Christian workers. Recently the French government has begun investigating Christian congregations, especially evangelicals, for possible terrorist activities.
The Light is starting to break into this dark nation. Over the last 12 years 400 new churches have been started, but most of them are in larger cities. Smaller towns with populations of 10,000 or less still lack Christian leadership. God’s Spirit continues to move. There are currently plans to start Christian radio stations and more church planting is being organized.
So what will I be doing? My ministry will be about equipping and encouraging English speaking Christian women. May 8-10 we will facilitate a retreat in Lyon. I will be presenting a workshop on journaling and giving my testimony about the School of Women in Ministry. Women are coming from around Europe. Seven countries will be represented at the retreat. Some come from as far away as China and Northern Africa. The attendance this year is doubled from last. Eighty women are registered. An event such as this is unusual for the European continent. I am honored to be apart of it. From what you’ve just read you can see that these women are in the minority and are desperate for encouragement and feeding. I’ve been told to get ready to listen because they will talk my ear off.
May 11-13 we will be in Grenoble praying and planning for a School of Women in Ministry that is due to begin in the fall. I have been actively involved in the schools here in California, so this is near and dear to my heart. The remainder of our time will be in Paris working with our Converge missionary as she moves and cleans her residence in Paris. In case you’re wondering, we will have one day in each location to do some sightseeing.
I am very excited about this opportunity, and anxious to see what the Lord has in store for us. The ladies organizing in France have met with a lot of resistance from the dark side of their beloved country. This only confirms for me that we are going on a trip that will make a difference in the lives of these Christian women and their country. Obviously, there is someone not very happy about our trip, so I do covet your prayers for protection for our families and ourselves as we set out on May 5th.
As I prepare to leave, don’t tell yourself that you would never take a trip like this one. You don’t know what God is preparing for you to do. He is full of surprises. He’s preparing you for something right now! Ephesians 2:10 "For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

6 comments:

  1. Time is getting short and I'm missing her already. I woke up last night at 3:30 and felt the urge to pray. Am I worried? No. God has called her to go and she's going. I have faith and trust in the God we serve. Didn't keep me from praying for protection though. Sure hope she can get some sleep on that long, long flight. Lastly, I sure hope that stupid little computer works for her..... she's not the most computer literate woman I've ever met.


    XXXXX

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for God's protection over both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be taking off in about an hour. Just know that I will be praying for you and your entire group. Love you Mom....and we'll take great care of Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just FYI dear heart. I talked to Dawn this evening (Wednesday) and Tiffy is doing fine. According to Paige, she thinks Tiff misses us because she's cuddling with her. Yeah, right. The dog has forgotten us already. However, I haven't forgotten you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case you care, Allison got the boot on American idol tonight. Just thought you'd want to know. The top three are Danny, Chris and the other guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed I was posting as Danielle. That's what I get for using her computer.

    ReplyDelete