Wednesday, May 6, 2009


May 6, 2009 Our travel day in Lyon, France

Praise the Lord. I could not have asked for a better travel day than this. I couldn’t begin to tell you how many times zones we traveled, only that we left San Francisco in gloom and arrived in Lyon to glorious sunshine! This is a wonderful beginning Lord. We left US soil in the afternoon on Tuesday and arrived in Lyon on the following day with five hours sleep for most of us. We were able to stay up until 11:30 plus that evening. Jet lag? Well it hasn’t reared its ugly head too much just yet, but we’re waiting. My room mate Terri and I hit the sack at 12:30 and are now up and about at 7 am. It’s looking pretty good. What’s that you say, “Pride goeth before the fall?” Oh, yes. I have heard that before. Anyway, we are praising our Jesus for a great start.

Our group, which has now expanded to seven, started out sightseeing, well actually looking for dinner, at 5:30. Pure Lyonaise. Lyon is known as the food capital of France. We were entertained by the wait staff, enjoyed wonderful local delicacies like tripe, and sampled every dessert on the menu. Why leave the sweets behind? A good time was had by all We didn’t eat until after 8 PM. The locals eat very late around here so we were able to do some sightseeing. This can be a challenge when your tummy is on another in another time zone. Laura and Carrie had the worst of it as they hadn’t eaten since 5:30 that morning.

We did have one mishap. Emily was pick pocketed while on a very crowded bus on our way downtown. Fortunately, Emily had been focusing on credit cards, so she has limited cash on hand. She is now our guest until back up finances arrive. A small price to pay for her company, and a lesson to be learned while away from home. She took it like a real trooper saying, “They must have needed the money more than she,” but still it’s a rough way to start out. We are thankful that it’s only stuff and that we are all well and safe in this beautiful city on the Lord’s mission.

We decided to walk the few miles back to our hotel along the beautiful Rhone River after dinner. Don’t worry about us husbands. We were well protected by our Lord as we prayer walked our way back and enjoy the well lit city that is also know as the “city of lights.”
Magnifique!
Carrie and Laura, missionaries from Africa, have joined us while on sabbatical. The rest of us are from Northern, Central, and Southern California. This cadre of travelers are the afore mentioned Carrie, Laura, Terri, Emily, Diane, myself, and our fearless leader Janice.

I will apologize now for any misspellings or grammatical errors, etc. that might appear on this sight. Yes, I know that I’m a teacher and should know better, but I don’t have my trusty editor with me. Miss you honey. My soul purpose(multiple meaning here) is to keep you informed about our comings and goings, but mostly to let you know what our sweet Jesus is up to while he takes us on this wonderful journey. Thanks you Lord for this opportunity to serve you in this way.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle! I had to create a blog site just to get to you. Fletch and I just got done watching American Idol.... Danny is in the top three ~ Allison got the boot. Anyway, I thought I would check to see if there was any news from you in France and YEAH! I ran out and got Fletch, we read it together. We are both very excited for you and proud of what you are doing there in France. Sorry to hear about Emily. Keep your money safe... if you are surrounded by women or children trying to sell you something or distract you, start spinning in circles. Fletch did this in Florence when he was surrounded by gypsy women and it worked. This seems to be the MO with pick pockets in the southern parts of Europe. Okay! I'll close. Aloha or should I say bonjour for now. You are in our prayers. Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle! So glad to see a post from you. Was beginning to worry you were having technical difficulties. Sounds like your trip is off to a beautiful start. Will be keeping you in my prayers. Love ya, Julie R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom, couldn't sleep so I thought I would "check-in". I'm sure you are enjoying your day, while I was wishing I was sound asleep! Anyway, I'm happy you had a safe and uneventful flight and that you have already had time to put in some sight-seeing. No exciting update in my part of the world, just looking forward to seeing Bill Cosby tonight and taking Friday off. Continue to have a blessed trip.... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear from you! I love your description of everything. It was if I was right there with you. Sorry to hear about Emily, but loved her reaction. Keep safe and know you are covered in prayer back home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear from you dear. Glad everything is going well. Miss you and so does Tiffy from what I'm told. I'll be on the road to Oregon starting at 3:00 am tomorrow morning. Just Mike Peterson and me. I'll take my computer and keep in touch. Love you.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the earlier post, we finally got it to work...We are so excited to see that you are doing well and enjoying the sites...Ouch, about the pick pocketing...We had no clue...We are so glad to hear that the weather is beautiful...We just heard the Santa Barbara is on fire...It was a good time for you to be out of the area...and in AZ, we are 103 degrees hot today!...This is such a cute blog site...and we love the music!...Have a good day and we are praying and reading your blog daily....Carl, please be safe on your trip and Jenny, get some sleep! MWAH! to you all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danielle -
    It's Chris out here at the office in the boonies! I finally checked back to see how your trip is going. Your descriptions were great and sure to get even better. I am very excited to hear how you will inspire the women that you will meet on your trip. Your gifts are truly a blessing and I have no doubt all who meet you will recognize this. Don't worry about Carl, if he gets too ornery I'll just bake something for him and that'll calm him down for a few days! Hee hee. Have a super day, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully you are sleeping as I am writing this note. Enjoyed your first "France" blog and look forward to more and reading how God is working through you and the rest of the group.

    Quick update on your favorite daughter, I am doing well...ok Tiffany is getting along well here. I am enjoying the mornings with her when she is still tired and willing to cuddle with me and Lola in bed.

    Tonight at dinner she thought she would join us for dinner and tried to serve herself a chicken leg (while sitting right next to me!) and I caught her with the leg in her mouth just before it could leave the plate. Like the good mother that I am, I rinsed it off, took off the skin and we still ate it.

    Love you mom!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Neil... posting this for Donna:

    Hi, Danielle ! So glad to get the report that you had arrived safely in Lucerne . I just want you to know I am praying for you as you share “The Voice of Truth” with the women. I know the missionaries will be encouraged by your group and I pray that those who don’t know Christ will be drawn to Him through your ministry. Take lots of pictures!

    Love,

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear about your trip so far! We are keeping you in our prayers!

    Janette

    ReplyDelete